We believe that primary education is the first step in breaking the endemic cycle of poverty and caste-based discrimination. At Buddha’s Smile School (BSS), ‘untouchable’ children are not just educated – they are taught to dream. Here, in a structured and caring learning environment, children not only learn, but discover that they are not condemned to walk in their parent’s footsteps, that the shackles can be broken.
Buddha’s Smile School (BSS) serves children from local slums and villages in north India, delivering primary education with love, care, and motivation since 2003.
We understand that education goes beyond classroom learning, requiring play and discovery. We teach music, crafts, and drawing and offer short summer courses in dance for the students to discover and develop their talents. Unlike typical schools in India, we foster an atmosphere of love, kindness, and healing.
- BSS is a non-denominational, not-for-profit school
- Our mission is to teach and nurture hope for some of the world’s poorest and most disadvantaged children
- We have 220 students in nursery through 5th grade
- Students are taught Math, Science, Social Studies, English, Hindi, Sanskrit, Art, Computers, and General Knowledge
3 Key Components
- Primary school for 220 students
- Daily nutritious meal for 220 students
- Middle School scholarships for BSS graduates